New recycling stations allow guests to deposit used beverage containers, plastic bags, small electronics and more
Target has launched permanent community recycling stations in all 1,740 stores to kick-off a month-long celebration of the 40th anniversary of Earth Day. Throughout the month, the celebration also includes the launch of an online eco-boutique where guests can find eco-friendly products and learn more about the company’s commitment to the environment, a month-long sweepstakes, a reusable bag giveaway and a unique Target circular.
Located at the front of each store, the recycling stations offer guests a convenient way to recycle aluminum, glass and plastic beverage containers, plastic bags, MP3 players, cell phones and ink cartridges. A full description of recyclables that are accepted is available at Target.com/eco-friendly.
“We know that eco-friendly living is top-of-mind for our guests, and the launch of store recycling stations allows us to continue to partner with them to curb unnecessary waste in our stores and our communities,” said Shawn Gensch, vice president of brand marketing, Target. “Target is committed to the preservation of the environment and to giving our guests eco-friendly options that will help them live more sustainably.”
Target strives to be an environmental steward, taking a holistic approach to sustainability throughout its stores and operations. This includes building and maintaining energy efficient stores, improving transportation operations and carrying a variety of eco-friendly products at Target and online at Target.com.
Other ways Target is celebrating Earth Month include:
- Launching an eco-boutique at Target.com/eco-friendly, featuring downloadable coupons and eco-minded brands with products such as non-toxic cleaners, energy-saving appliances and products made of recycled materials.
- Sponsoring a month-long “Drive Home Green” sweepstakes featuring a grand prize of a 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid. Guests can enter for a chance to win on Target.com/eco-friendly or by sending a text message with the keyword “green” to the short code “Target” (827438).
- Giving away with purchase, 1.5 million complimentary reusable shopping bags made from 100 percent post-consumer recycled PET bottles on Sunday, April 18, while supplies last.
- Distributing an innovative newspaper circular that allows guests the option to use a portion of the April 18 circular as an envelope to mail their plastic shopping bags to TerraCycle. In return, guests will receive a $1 coupon towards the purchase of a Target reusable bag priced at $1.49 or more.
- Continuing to encourage guests to use their reusable bags at checkout to receive a 5-cent discount off their total purchase per reusable bag.
Minneapolis-based Target Corporation (NYSE:TGT) serves guests at 1,740 stores in 49 states nationwide and at Target.com. Target is committed to providing a fun and convenient shopping experience with access to unique and highly differentiated products at affordable prices. Since 1946, the corporation has given 5 percent of its income through community grants and programs like Take Charge of Education. Today, that giving equals more than $3 million a week.